A Husband's Goodbye

I wrote this for a man who was with his wife at the final hours preceding her death











Beloved mate,
this old life's clothes,
you'll soon discard,
my devoted rose.

Your fight was valiant, but it has come to an end,
my child’s mother,
grammy,
and my best friend.

Don’t be worried by the way you appear,
just remnants of the years
and pain you had to bear.

Now on this bed you await,
lying in repose,
and all I see is my beautiful young betrothed.

You won't suffer again,
my love, my wife,
you'll be amongst the living,
with no tears and no strife.

I’m not far behind,
we will live again,
and walk once more, my partner, my friend.

We will laugh and run,
we will dance and sing,
in the land of love,
in the presence of a King.

This is not a goodbye,
but a brief so-long,
till we make our reunion,
and sing a new song.



No comments:

Post a Comment